Our History

Please select the Home page (click on Home link on the upper left tool bar) to see the most current information about this Sunday’s service and other activities!

Unity of Greater Hartford was established in 1932 under the leadership of founding minister Harriet Gilbert as a study group committed to exploring the spiritual principles on which the Unity movement is based.

The Unity of Greater Hartford was incorporated in 1951 and the center has been a member of Unity Worldwide Ministries since 1966.

1932 – 1948 ~Harriet Gilbert
1948 – 1950 ~Edna Titus
1950 – 1957 ~Faith Cornwall
1957 – 1996 ~Merton Thorpe
1996 – 2008 ~Raymond R Shea
2008 – 2009 ~Phillip Smedstad, Transitional Minister
2009 – 2012 ~Edward Townley
2013- 2015 ~Mindy Tucker
2015- Present ~ Phil Smedstad

Beginning in 1932 the church was located at 926 Main Street, Hartford, CT.

The church moved to the former Stoner mansion, 730 Farmington Avenue, West Hartford, CT in 1952. The building was remodeled in 1972.

In 2001 the church bought land at 919 Ellington Road, South Windsor, CT. Construction of a new, larger church began in 2004. The new church was opened on April 24, 2005, and dedicated on May 15, 2005. The Rev. Carl Osier, Vice President of Organizational Services for the Association of Unity Churches International assisted Rev. Raymond R. Shea in the Dedication and Blessing ceremony.