What is Unity?
Founded as the School of Practical Christianity in 1889 by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, today, Unity is a thriving, vital spiritual movement. Nonsectarian in its approach to religion, international in its outreach, Unity teachings and services are offered to everyone.
“Our objective is to discern the Truth in Christianity and then prove it. The Truth that we teach is not new, neither do we claim specific revelations nor discovery of new principles. Our purpose is to help and teach mankind to use and prove the eternal Truths taught by the Master.” — Charles Fillmore, Co-founder of Unity
Unity is Practical Christianity which provides knowledge and awareness of divine principles or laws as taught by Jesus; as were practiced and expressed through him. These laws of life are the promises to men and women which are so freely given in the Bible. They are universal principles which anyone can learn to use to bring about blessings in any aspect of life, for they are as unfailing as the laws of mathematics and gravity. As an ancient profit said, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.”
Unity explains how the mind is the connecting link between us and God, and how to use our mind to bring forth effectiveness in each and every aspect of life. It teaches of the demonstrations of spirit in any area of life in which is a need. When we learn how to use our mind effectively we can accomplish great good for it affects each and every aspect of living.
True Unity churches learn of these laws by Bible stories, parables and other information on how Jesus lived and what he taught, for he said, “Follow me.” When we learn to work with this spiritual knowledge and understanding we can bring about a closer relationship with God and bring us to positive changes which lead to life transformation.
With an open mind and a willing heart, no matter what your religion, education, race, creed, sexual orientation or color, Unity can become a powerful tool for you.
What Does Unity Teach?
- That we are never alone; that the Omni-present Spirit of God is always available to guide and help in any needed way.
- That the “Kingdom of God” is within us.”
- The integration of spiritual ideas into practical aspects of living; such as health, financial affairs and problem-solving.
- To accept personal responsibility for our lives by building and relying upon our inner spiritual strength.
- How to attain greater peace of mind thereby alleviating stress and worry.
- That it is our high privilege to know Jesus the Christ; our mission to let Spirit be expressed through us, as the Christ.
- An attitude of love and respect for all people based on a “oneness” of Spirit.
What Makes Unity Different?
- Unity is an open door to all races, religions, sexual orientation and creeds with no attempt to convert or change.
- Encourages thought, interpretive study and contemplation of the Bible with special emphasis on the teachings and ideas practiced by Jesus our mentor.
- Teaches individual responsibility for one’s relationship with God while pointing out ways to enhance communion.
- Does not infringe upon the lives of its participants by unsolicited visits; yet available upon request.
- Places emphasis upon the power of thoughts, feelings and words.